The Toledo Police Department and the Area Office on Aging of Northwestern Ohio formed a partnership to develop the Retired Senior Volunteer Patrol Program (R.S.V.P.) in September of 2000.
R.S.V.P. strives to foster a partnership with community members to assist in keeping a watchful eye on those citizens that, through age, family situation, or health reasons, need attention.
Volunteers also check conditions of residences at the request of citizens that are away from their homes for extended periods of time.
R.S.V.P. Operates out of the Ottawa Park substation located at 2145 N. Cove Boulevard, to provide for centralized planning, control, support, and organization.
The mission of R.V.S.P. is to:
- Regularly check on the safety and well-being of clients.
- Determine if there is a need to make a follow-up referral to an appropriate agency to improve the client’s quality of life.
- Assist in providing any immediate help needed, within program guidelines, during actual visitation.
- Provide companionship, some conversation, which may include a trip down memory lane. Volunteers and clients develop a friendship by getting to know each other during visits.
R.S.V.P. Volunteers can be identified by their identification badge, uniform, and marked R.S.V.P. Vehicle. Volunteers work Monday-Friday between the hours of 8 a.m. and 4 p.m.
The requirements to become an R.S.V.P. Volunteer are:
- Must be age 55 or older.
- Possess a valid operator’s license.
- Possess a high school diploma or GED.
- Successfully complete a background investigation.
- Be physically able to perform the duties.
- Volunteer a minimum of 12 hours a month.
- Successfully complete R.S.V.P. Training program.
- Be familiar with the City of Toledo and be able to read a map.
If you, or someone you know, is interested in becoming a R.S.V.P. Volunteer, or receiving program services, please contact the Toledo Police Department R.S.V.P. Office at 419-936-3720.TPD Celebrates 20 Years of RSVP: Video 1 TPD Celebrates 20 Years of RSVP: Video 2 TPD Celebrates 20 Years of RSVP: Video 3 TPD Celebrates 20 Years of RSVP: Video 4 TPD Celebrates 20 Years of RSVP: Video 5 TPD Celebrates 20 Years of RSVP: Video 6